Senior Adult Ministry (S.A.M.)
Created by Sister Claudia Murphy in 1977 as the Ministry of Pastoral Care for Senior Adult Parishioners, and now called Senior Adult Ministry (S.A.M.), this office has met the physical, spiritual and social needs of our elderly parishioners by:
• Personal visitation of elderly living in their own homes and also those who live in an institutional setting/and or nursing home
• Counseling these parishioners during stressful experience of grief, guilt, disappointments and illness
• Arranging social interaction experiences for those living alone
• Arranging weekly/monthly visitations and communion for those who request it and who are unable to attend mass due to illness or age related issues
• Planning meals for all parishioners to meet and get to know one another
• Assisting in helping with pre-planned funeral liturgies and bereavement
• Assisting family members (caregivers) by giving them adequate time and support during a long-term illness
• Organizing special days of retreat and the Sacrament of the Sick
• Organizing and training volunteers to help with this ministry
Laura Tarbutton assumed the position after Sister Claudia’s retirement and has completed her studies in Senior Adult Ministry with the Johnson Institute. The number of senior adults in the parish grows each year. This ministry is supported by your donations made in memory of a loved one, grants and certain anonymous benefactors. The “Sister Claudia Murphy Trust Fund” at the Catholic Foundation ensures the financial support of the Senior Adult Ministry within our Cathedral Parish.
Visit www.jacksondiocese.org/foundation-ways-to-give.php. Donations to the Senior Adult Ministry can also be sent to Cathedral of St. Peter, P.O. Box 57, Jackson, MS 39205.